Knysna Historical Tour
KNYSNA HEADS | HOLY TRINITY CHURCH | BELVIDERE
5 Departure Points
Depart from any of the following locations:
George, Knysna, Mossel Bay, Oudtshoorn, Plettenberg Bay
All Entrance Fees and Lunch Included.
Our prices on this tour include all entrance fees to any excursion within the tour itinerary as well as a lunch.
Welcome to the most popular town in the Garden Route. Knysna is primarily built on the northern shore of a large warm-water estuary, known as the Knysna Lagoon, which is fed by the Knysna River. The estuary opens to the ocean after passing between two large headlands. These are popularly known as “The Heads”, and have become infamous due to the loss of boats and fishermen passing through their treacherous and unpredictable waters.
The origin of the name isn’t clear: various writers have suggested that it might have come from the Khoekhoe language term ‘xthys xna’ – which the writers believe could mean ‘place of timber’, ‘place of ferns’, or even ‘straight down’ (referring to the cliffs at The Heads).
Secure, peaceful and beautiful, Leisure Isle combines a fun day at the beach; go canoeing, kayaking, hire a speed boat or go fishing.
VIEW TOUR MAP DEPARTING FROM:
DAY TOUR LOCATIONS
AT A GLANCE
Travel to the Famous Knysna Heads for an in-depth historical guided tour. A must for Historians and information seekers, or just a relaxed morning outing.
Belvidere Estate & Holy Trinity Church
Real estate agents describe Belvidere as a suburb of Knysna. In reality it is something of a quintessential English village on the west shores of the Knysna lagoon; a far cry from the modern Thesen Island that lies on the opposite bank.
The hamlet of Belvidere centres around the quaint Holy Trinity Church built by Thomas Duthie who settled on his farm Belvidere during his retirement in the mid 1800s. The incredibly pretty church is modelled on the Norman churches of the 11th and 12th centuries, built from local sandstone and timber, and consecrated in 1855 for Duthie’s wife, Caroline. It has but five rows of pews to each side, a little nave, and still holds weekly services. Across from the church is the village green, where Boxing Day cricket is a tradition.
Tour Additional Info
- Rates are subject to availability on confirmation and are valid until 30 September 2020.
- Rates are subject to change due to activity operator price adjustments and volatile fuel price changes.
- Advertised vehicles are subject to availability.
- All toll fees included where applicable.
- Luggage trailers included upon request.
- Porterage & Gratuity are not included in any fare.
- Waters are not included but can be supplied at an additional cost of
R12 per 330ml unit or R15 per 500ml unit.
- Driver overnight fee may apply for long distance transfers. This will either be
for the client’s account or will be charged for separately.
- Bar bill during lunch
- A waiting fee will be raised at R 250 per hour/part thereof for deviation
from agreed departure time. This does not apply to delayed flights.
- It is by law a requirement that all vehicles with guests on board have a
name list and detailed itinerary.
- Full Day tours are strictly from 08:00 to 17:00 or 09:00 to 18:00.
- Half Day tours are strictly 5 hours – AM or PM.