FEATHERBED ECO EXCURSION
5 Departure Points
Depart from any of the following locations:
George, Knysna, Mossel Bay, Oudtshoorn, Plettenberg Bay
All Entrance Fees and Lunch Included.
Our prices on this tour include all entrance fees to any excursion within the tour itinerary as well as a lunch.
Courteous Drivers and Guides
Spacious vehicles with qualified, competent and legal guides and drivers. View our fleet page for more info on our vehicle assets.
Welcome to the most popular town in the Garden Route. Knysna is primarily built on the northern shore of a large warm-water estuary, known as the Knysna Lagoon, which is fed by the Knysna River. The estuary opens to the ocean after passing between two large headlands. These are popularly known as “The Heads”, and have become infamous due to the loss of boats and fishermen passing through their treacherous and unpredictable waters.
The origin of the name isn’t clear: various writers have suggested that it might have come from the Khoekhoe language term ‘xthys xna’ – which the writers believe could mean ‘place of timber’, ‘place of ferns’, or even ‘straight down’ (referring to the cliffs at The Heads).
Secure, peaceful and beautiful, Leisure Isle combines a fun day at the beach; go canoeing, kayaking, hire a speed boat or go fishing.
VIEW TOUR MAP DEPARTING FROM:
GEORGE | KNYSNA | MOSSEL BAY | OUDTSHOORN
DAY TOUR LOCATIONS
AT A GLANCE
FEATHERBED ECO EXPERIENCE
The Featherbed Nature Reserve, situated on the Western Head in Knysna, is the premier eco-experience on the Garden Route.
Featherbed Eco Experience
The Knysna Heads are a pair of sandstone cliffs that separate the Knysna Lagoon from the sea beyond; a famous landmark along the renowned Garden Route. The eastern head is easily accessible by car and has many spectacular viewpoints overlooking the channel, Indian Ocean, the Knysna Lagoon and estuary, and the Outeniqua Mountains.
“Wow, what a superb experience! With a nature reserve guide with us throughout our visit, this was one of the highlights of our tour. Taken by boat to the reserve, we then had great fun travelling by trailer to the top of the hill, followed by a fairly easy walk back down. The views were breathtaking and the guides were very helpful and knowledgeable – they obviously love the place, and quite rightly so!”
Featherbed Eco Excursion
- Return ferry trip on the Knysna Lagoon to the Western Head.
- 4×4 vehicle & trailer drive up the headland onto the Reserve, stopping at spectacular viewpoints.
- Specialist guide giving information on history, fauna & flora.
- Optional guided 2.2km walk through coastal forest and fynbos into ancient sea caves.
- World renowned buffet lunch at an outdoor restaurant setting under a canopy of Milkwood trees.
Tour Additional Info
- Rates are subject to availability on confirmation and are valid until 30 September 2020.
- Rates are subject to change due to activity operator price adjustments and volatile fuel price changes.
- Advertised vehicles are subject to availability.
- All toll fees included where applicable.
- Luggage trailers included upon request.
- Porterage & Gratuity are not included in any fare.
- Waters are not included but can be supplied at an additional cost of
R12 per 330ml unit or R15 per 500ml unit.
- Driver overnight fee may apply for long distance transfers. This will either be
for the client’s account or will be charged for separately.
- Bar bill during lunch
- A waiting fee will be raised at R 250 per hour/part thereof for deviation
from agreed departure time. This does not apply to delayed flights.
- It is by law a requirement that all vehicles with guests on board have a
name list and detailed itinerary.
- Full Day tours are strictly from 08:00 to 17:00 or 09:00 to 18:00.
- Half Day tours are strictly 5 hours – AM or PM.